The memes are among the elements of the web that more often we are used to seeing, bearers of meanings, humor and irony often accompany posts on social networks, blog posts, Pinterest bulletin boards and in general many activities on the web.
Memes such as funny dog memes can be a linguistic expression, a piece of clothing (the miniskirt, the bell-bottom pants…), a song… everything whose cultural significance is universally recognized and goes far beyond that of the simple object.
The first to talk about it was Richard Dawkins in his book The Egoist gene of 1976, using the concept of the meme to explain the ways in which cultural information spreads. Christopher Poole in 2003 founded 4chan, a website where for the first time appear memes and from which some of the most famous have begun to spread. Although some consider Poole the inventor of memes, memes are actually an invention of the web people, who create them, spread them and decree their success. Impossible to say who is the inventor of the memes that we see online today because we are all their inventors.
That said, memes can be a great way to promote your brand online, exploiting those that are already loved and recognized by users.
- Memes like funny dog memes are easy to create, there are many meme generators online, just choose the image and customize the message.
- In many cases, the creation of a meme is free, although some of them may be covered by copyright.
- The meme brings humor and irony with him, who sees a meme knows that he will probably be able to smile (we must not disappoint this expectation, but in any case, the user is predisposed in a positive way).
- It is an excellent strategy to allow a brand to be modern and in step with the times.
- The use of memes favors the sharing of contents, a well-constructed meme could bring a good popularity on social networks even after some time and without too much effort.
- The memes are images and in addition carry numerous meanings, accompanying their posts with a meme means exploiting the power of the images we have so often mentioned.
3 tips for using memes in marketing
Before starting to use the memes in marketing you need to prepare yourself to avoid clamorous figures:
- Study the meaning of funny memes and make sure that they represent exactly what we want to say.
- Focus on an element that is memorable but also has a close link with your brand. Only in this way will it be possible to exploit the positive correlation between memes and its own brand.
- Avoid twisting the original meme, in fact, the ideal would be to leave it as it is, significantly altering its surroundings. On the other hand, any meme is a proven success formula, why change its elements?
In recent years memes have gained a stunning force, including people who are professionally dedicated to the creation of these pieces – in addition, self-proclaimed: experts in memes – as a factor of engagement for content on social networks.