Merbau wood is very versatile and comes from a tree called Intsia Bijga. Mostly grown in Southeast and East Asia, East Africa and Australia, this tree’s wood is used to make many products.
Where Is It Used?
Merbau timber supplies are required to make products such as:
- High quality and luxurious furniture: The furniture made from this wood, comes out elegant and artistic and would definitely add charm to anyone’s house.
- Flooring: If the floor of your house has to be changed or the floor in your workplace needs to be removed, you can replace your house or office flooring with Merbau Timber supplies to make the aesthetics of the place fashionable.
- Decking: People, who want to make their backyard look better, and are looking for an alternative that will survive in the open environment for long, should opt for Merbau timber is the best option.
- Instruments: Many instruments such as guitar and drums can also be made using Merbau timber.
- Cabin makings: Cabins can also be made with Merbau timber and these are normally very chic looking.
Qualities of Merbau Timber
The Merbau timber supplies have been on a rise due to many qualities that this timber possesses. A few of these qualities are listed below.
- Color: Appearance of this timber changes with time periods. When they are cut, the colour that they exhibit is Orangish-brown but after a bit of time passes, they become reddish-brown. This quality of colour change makes it into one of the most elegant furniture making woods around.
- Rot proneness: This wood is not likely to rot as it can resist any attacks from the insects as well as other rotting agents. Due to this fact, many people prefer to use it. The durability ensures that the product made of Merbau timber supplies last for long without any touch ups.
- Easy to work with: This wood is cooperative with glue and sticks to things very well. Also, the finish of this product makes it a popular choice among people, looking for wood supply.
- Fragrance: This wood has a unique odor that can be very pleasant to most.
- Price: The price of this timber is moderate. It would not be a big hole in the pocket. Normally you can get ample length as well as width of this timber, with ease.
- Strength: Another thing to keep in mind is the fact that this wood is extremely strong. This is one of the reasons why it is considered to be the best choice especially when a person is thinking of getting flooring done. Its strength ensures that the heavy weights would not cause a problem to it.
Certain Limitations of Merbau Timber Supplies:
- The smell of this wood can cause irritation to some people, and might even leave some of them, sneezing vigorously. This may be problematic and hence people need to be aware of it.
- It has a property of staining an area when it comes into contact with water, being water soluble. This feature of the timber might cause stains in the areas where it is used, in case it comes in contact with water. In some people, it can cause allergies as well. The most common ones are runny noses and skin irritation. These allergies should be considered, even though they are extremely rare.
The merbau timber supplies for furniture have resulted in some illegal logging as well. It has high demand, but sustainable means to ensure that the species does not die out, are yet to come. Till that time, this termite resistance tree needs to be looked after, to ensure that the wood it provides keeps reaching the people, and at the same time, does not become extinct.