For the past two thousand years, people of Rome have been looking for various processes and materials to uplift the beauty and décor of their living spaces. Workers made use of exposed aggregate concrete in order to attain the look of granite floors and pristine marble for the wealthiest citizens. As the economic time is tough, people are looking for cost effective ways of increasing the beauty and value of their homes. Exposed aggregate concrete can add to the beauty of your home without causing a hole in the pocket. Exposed concrete was used to build large and tall things and although the Romans mastered the art of building concrete structures, they did not stop using the aggregate material. They learned how to pour the cement floor and thereby sprinkling tiny bits of colorful stones and marble chips all over the floor to offer it the appearance of expensive material.
Nowadays, the contractors employ the same kind of techniques and use advanced material and processes. With such techniques, processes and materials, homeowners can update and expand the looks of their home to attain high-end look. This may be done at a budget which is really small. The best part is that exposed aggregate concrete may be used in any part of the residential property. Some of the most common outdoor applications involve its use for patios and garden pathways. The concrete material can be availed in different colors, finishes and textures. Its usage is now far more expanded and slowly the garden walls, garage floors and driveways are also constructed of aggregate concrete material. Contractors use innovative techniques or processes to make the outdoor areas like driveways and garden walls.
Exposed Aggregate Concrete Offers a Variety of Benefits
Exposed aggregate concrete is the kind of decorative concrete attained by removal of top layer of walls to reveal the underlying aggregate. The decorative aggregate is skid-resistant surface which is durable and is fabulous for driveway, sidewalks, garden walls and patios. The following are some of the merits:
- One can achieve a decorative effect at a reasonable cost. Here only a few additional materials are required. Other basic needed things are the sprayer, the surface retardant, and garden hose.
- This procedure of exposing underlying aggregate is fairly simple and may be mastered easily.
- The surface which is formed by this process is durable, strong, does not wear easily and is skid-resistant. It can handle even the most extreme climatic condition.
- When it comes to aggregate, there are various options available including small, large, colored, round and many more.
- Exposed aggregate concrete can easily blend with various other decorative concretes
- The surface needs very less of maintenance and only a bit of cleaning will do. Re-sealing is needed in every few years.
The Various Methods to Set Exposed Concrete
- The first and foremost technique of exposed aggregate concrete is monolithic. Here the aggregate is batched or set into the truck at the plant. The monolithic technique is the easiest and most suitable. Smaller aggregates are known as pea stones.
- Just after you place the aggregate, the decorative aggregate is hand placed, broadcast on the surface of the concrete.
- Overlay is another method of exposed aggregate concrete whereby it is used for surfaces that already in good condition. Here the aggregates are mixed into the topping material and are then applied to old concrete. This gives fresh look altogether.
Keep the topmost layer of the cement as soft as possible. This will allow one to expose the underlying concrete in an easy manner. If you want to attain a terrific looking decorative concrete, then you can go for the exposed aggregate concrete.